Pages

Wednesday, January 23, 2013

The Art of Waiting



Sometimes I feel like I have been waiting my whole life for something- waiting to grow up, waiting to meet the perfect guy, waiting to graduate from college, waiting to live in New York, etc... At every stage in my life I am always thinking about a better position in the future and recently I've discovered that instead of giving me hope it only leaves me feeling discontented with my current life. It's like the way I am now isn't enough to keep me satisfied and I end up believing that things will be better in the future. However, something I've come to realize is that things may not always end up the way I dream they will and that by living my life in the future sense, I am missing out on current reality. I remember when I was little I wanted to be 16 so badly because, to me, that age represented the ultimate independence- I would be able to do whatever I wanted and become whoever I wanted. I spent all this time dreaming about what life would be like at 16 that I didn't really enjoy being 10. Then, when I finally reached age 16, it wasn't all that great (yes, I had more independence, but I also had to study for the dreaded SAT and prepare to apply to college). At that time I remember thinking I could not wait to be in college and get everything over with. I am now 20 years old and its come to my notice that childhood is actually one of the best times in a person's life. There are no responsibilities or worries because your parents take care of everything. A child just focuses on being happy. I wish now that when I was 10 I had taken more time to appreciate the circumstances I had then instead of spending time waiting to grow up. This reflection has made me realize that by constantly thinking about a better life in the future I am not enjoying my life now and am passing by little things that I may or may not have in the future. Instead of waiting to graduate from college (so the unending list to tests is over), I should be experiencing college life to the fullest- spending time with my friends, exploring the city of Austin, and trying new things.


If any of you are waiting for something better in life like I was, I challenge you to take a look at everything that is going on in your life now and take the time to appreciate it. Just like the innocence of childhood, it may not always be with you in the future. The future may hold wonderful things to look forward to, but will also be missing many of things wonderful things you have now. Get rid of the art of waiting and experience life to the fullest- without regrets.

Love,
Kathleen

No comments:

Post a Comment