Pages

Saturday, December 20, 2014

Last Day in St. Louis! Day 4


Day 4- Museum Day!

My last day in St. Louis :( was bittersweet since I definitely enjoyed exploring everything the city had to offer, but I'm also excited to go home and reunite with my family. I slept pretty late AGAIN today (I guess traveling takes a toll on my body lol) so the first thing we did after leaving the house was to eat lunch. Lunch was classic Southern food, such as fried chicken, cornbread, mac and cheese, and mashed potatoes at Sweetie Pie's. Sweetie Pie's is so famous for its food that it has its own TV show on Oprah's channel, OWN. The food is served cafeteria style, meaning that you go down a serving line and choose what you want. The restaurant's waiters are all extremely helpful and work hard to serve you even though you don't actually tip them. Additionally, there are pictures of Sweetie Pie's owner, Miss Robbie, all over the walls.
Eating our delicious fried chicken and pork steak!
The cast of Welcome to Sweetie Pie's


My friend and I were stuffed after eating all that fried chicken so we headed to the St. Louis Art Museum afterwards to walk off all our calories. The art museum, like the zoo, is located inside Forest Park and has free admission (yay for saving money). While its not Metropolitan Museum, SLAM still holds its own in the art world by showing paintings by famous artists such as Monet, Van Gogh, Picasso, El Greco, and Georgia O'Keefe. The majority of the museum is filled with European and American art as the galleries on Asian art and African art are sadly lacking.
One of Monet's famous Water Lilies paintings

The second museum we visited of the day was the Missouri History Museum. After we entered the museum we realized that St. Louis was celebrating 250 years of history this year. This explained why we kept seeing the decorative birthday cakes all over the city. This history museum is literally over flowing with information about St. Louis and Missouri. Every inch of the walls and the building is covered with little facts and photos telling the history of the state. As a result, my friend and I were a little overwhelmed when walking through the museum. However, we did learn a lot about Missouri that we had no idea about before! Did you know that the first Olympics to be held in the U.S was located in St. Louis?
Happy 250 years!

After spending 4 days in this amazing city, I feel like I have explored every major sight and gotten a good picture of what St. Louis is like. For all of yall who plan on visiting St. Louis, I really suggest a 4 day itinerary as anything longer might lead to boredom and anything shorter will lead to a lack of understanding of the city. I really enjoyed my short vacation here and now its back home to to Texas!

Goodbye St. Louis!
- Kathleen

No comments:

Post a Comment